Thunderbird ain't perfect, either

Roberto Mariottini Roberto_member at pathlink.com
Thu Mar 30 01:03:54 PST 2006

In article <e0emae$mfq$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
[...]
>The bad:
>
>1) No way to backup/restore the data. It's about as bad as O.E. here.
>C'mon, Tbird developers, how hard can this be? I want a simple way to
>back up EVERYTHING to a CD or another drive, and then restore it.

You simply zip and copy your profile folder. I'm doing this at every computer
move from Netscape 6, and it works.

>2) Buggy import from O.E. messages - it sometimes inexplicably gets the
>dates all screwed up, resulting in messages having been received in year
>2101, or year 1965.

I think it can read the "Received:" tag instead of the "Date:" tag, or some
other "more reliable" tag.

>3) Search is essentially useless, still have to use X1.

I'm not an expert, but I've fount what I needed with the search too as is today.

Maybe you'll find something better as an extension:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=thunderbird

Moreover, you can write your extension yourself, see "How to Write an Extension"
here:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/specs/extensions.html

Ciao

---