Thunderbird ain't perfect, either

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 02:27:18 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> So, having been hosed by O.E. at least 4 times whenever I either
> upgraded the OS or had to reinstall it, I decided to bite the bullet and
> install Thunderbird. There's good, there's bad:
<snip>
> 4) Spell checker. Gotta pay extra for a 3rd party spell checker for O.E.

Good idea.  Are you going to start spellchecking your web pages as well?

> 5) Seems to get the unread message count right. O.E. always gets this
> wrong.

Interesting.  I've been using Mozilla (or SeaMonkey as it's now called)
for a few years, and found that it doesn't always get the unread message
count right either, though at least it does some sensible things like
(usually) auto-marking messages on ignored threads as read.

I'm surprised you stopped there in listing OE's bugs.  Here are just
some of the annoying bugs I found:

http://www.epinions.com/content_67328904836

> The bad:
>
> 1) No way to backup/restore the data. It's about as bad as O.E. here.
> C'mon, Tbird developers, how hard can this be? I want a simple way to
> back up EVERYTHING to a CD or another drive, and then restore it.
<snip>

I'm surprised.  SeaMonkey stores all profile data in a folder by itself.
  Copying this folder certainly strikes me as a simple way.

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.