Windows woes

Bruno Medeiros daiphoenixNO at SPAMlycos.com
Thu Mar 30 03:12:25 PST 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> The bug with the Windows home directories, and why I don't use them,
>> is they insist on putting spaces in the directory names. This hoses us
>> command line users.
>
> It's possible to move home directories with a bit of hacking, though
> some programs do seem to hard-code path names when they shouldn't.  I
> tried renaming "Program Files" as well, but with less success.  Even MS
> apps seem to expect stuff to live there no matter what the registry
> says.  Ultimately, I just gave up on the whole experiment as too
> complicated to be worthwhile.
>

> Sean

I think trying to rename those directories after an installation is too
tricky. It's asking for trouble.
The best and safe way is to change them as a Windows installation
option. I did this manually through the unattended install options for
my XP installation, 2 years ago, making C:\Program Files -> C:\Programs,
and C:\Documents and Settings -> C:\Home .

I planning a new XP installation when I do a PC upgrade, somewhere in
the summer, and for that I'm planning to use http://www.nliteos.com/
(Kyle mentioned it too). It's *very* convenient, as it can create an
installation CD setup with those unattended options, with service pack
and hotfixes streamlined, with various windows options pre-configured
(like options for file explorer, IE, search, theme, etc.), and some
other features too.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student