Windows woes

Fredrik Olsson peylow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 08:56:16 PST 2006

Anders F Björklund skrev:
> Fredrik Olsson wrote:
>
>>> The morals of the story: computers ARE NOT for everybody yet now in
>>>  the 2006, even with dumb-oriented systems as Windows XP. You
>>> choose with which harshness you want to live with when choosing an
>>> OS depending on the time you have and the tasks you'll be
>>> performing on the system
>>

>> I beg to differ, we have Mac OS X. A unix for pretty much everyone.
>

> Mac OS X is only partly UNIX, though ? And not for the poor ;-)
> There are *several* reasons to chose one of the alternatives...
>
> Linux, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, etc.
>
> One is the lack of open source, or choosing your own hardware.
> Another is the recent number of security issues, on Mac OS X ?

Lack of open source I would not agree on, pretty close to all major open
source projects out there works on OS X as well.

The hardware and price I agree on, mostly because I chose Mac not for
the hardware but purely the software :/.

As for the security issues I have a feeling that the press have blown it
out of proportions. With not a single virus in the wild for five years,
the first one is big news. But comparing that to the thousands available
for "other operating systems" is not quite fair :).

> I happen to like Macs, but they're clearly not for everyone...
> Mac OS X is something of a strange hybrid (MacOS and OPENSTEP)
>
> So nowadays, I'm platform agnostic.

And personally I like it because of the hybrid thingie :). I tried using
Linux as my main workstation, and had it working for close to a year. I
think it was best phrased by BCS:
"Unix, is novice hostile... Windows, is expert hostile"
I find that OS X positions itself in the middle; easy enough to get the
what ever the daily routine puts in front of me, and hard core enough to
  do the tweaking when I like to.

I think most peoples trouble with OS X and "not unix enough" is that
they are familiar with Linux, and OS X have more BSD roots.