Thunderbird ain't perfect, either

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Thu Mar 30 10:49:34 PST 2006

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> 3) Search is essentially useless, still have to use X1.
> What exactly is wrong with TB search? Seems fine to be. The only caveat,
> which you might not have noticed yet, is that in "Search Messages", when
> in online mode you only have the "subject" and "from" source field
> options. It is only in offline mode that one has access to other fields,
> like "body", "date", etc.  :/
> Was that the problem or something else, like better boolean expressions?

The best thing I can say is "try X1 and you'll see". But I'll give it a try:

Tbird:
1) Tbird search is buried 3 menu levels down.
2) Lots of clicking to poke through messages looking for the right one
if you've got a lot of matches.
3) Looks like O.E.'s klunky search user interface was used as a model.

X1:
1) Although I can restrict the search to specific fields, by default it
searches every field.
2) Uses a two pane system, the left is the list of matching messages,
the right is the message body of the highlighted matching message.
3) The term searched for is highlighted in the message view pane.

When you've got a lot of hits, like 20 to 100 or more, X1's features
make it much, much faster to sort through them for the one you need.