Windows woes

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Thu Mar 30 12:44:19 PST 2006

In article <e0h9cu$1kf$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, John Demme says...

>Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> John Demme wrote:
>>> Yes, yes.. I know windows has user home directories, but since most
>>> applications use the registry instead, it's not worth much.
>>
>> The bug with the Windows home directories, and why I don't use them, is
>> they insist on putting spaces in the directory names. This hoses us
>> command line users.
>

>I never understood Windows command line users... You're all just screaming
>for bash or some other nice Unix shell and apps... Every time the Windows
>command line comes up, it should be accompanied with a giant ad for Unix.
>Even on the rare occastions when I program for Windows, I do all the
>development in Linux then run the compiler and program in VMWare!
>
>~John Demme

For what it's worth, I've gotten by with the win32 GNU utils for a while now
(*highly* reccomended for windows devs).  If for no other reason, it helps me
stay to a unix command set rather than type 'ls' and wonder why nothing is
happening.  And then there's always cygwin, but that's a bit overkill under most
circumstances.

As for the issues with spaces in file/directory names, cmd.exe (NT shell)
understands using "foo bar" for delimiting text when all else fails.

I've found the above to be a big enough "band-aid" to get around without having
bash or tcsh to use.  I spend most of my time in an editor anyway. ;)

- EricAnderton at yahoo