Windows woes

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Fri Mar 31 07:00:39 PST 2006

Fredrik Olsson wrote:
> But as I understand it Windows Vista should come with better support
> for command line users, hopefully a shortcut to the home directories
> is in there (But probably not ~\ just for spite).

Ever since Windows 2.0, each new version of Windows has been hyped up
like the best marketed blockbuster movies. Months or years of it. "It's
simply a must-have!" "It'll be an answer for all you ever wanted, and in
addition it'll tell you the meaning of life!"

And not long after the release they start talking of the next version
that'll do the stuff already promised for this one.

It's like the guy that lends money from you, and always when it's
payback time he'll have this amazing story on where the money went, and
you end up lending more to him.

I've already learnt that the meaning of life is, reboot, reboot,
reinstall, reboot, reboot, lose stuff, reboot. For M$ users, that is.

If we always had only had Macs and Linuxes (and now to an increasing
degree Intel-Solaris), and Microsoft came out with (say XP), I don't
think anyone would use it after the couple of first reinstalls.

The other systems you can run continuously powered on for as long as it
takes to need to totally reinstall one's Windows. Some difference.