Thunderbird ain't perfect, either

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Fri Mar 31 07:39:09 PST 2006

There are a few XUL reference sites.  Just search for that on Google. It
helps to understand the W3C document object model, which Mozilla more or
less follows in HTML and in XUL, and to be willing to sink a little bit
of time mucking around.  Most of it is pretty darn simple.

There's a bunch of jar files in your chrome folder under
Firefox/Mozilla/Thunderbird.  Unzip them and look at them.  They're
interesting.  Grep is your friend.

Funny enough, Thunderbird isn't - imho - terribly terribly robust.  I
mean, when you empty a folder, it uses JavaScript to select all the
messages and pretends you hit delete.  I just find that silly.  But it's
still better than Outlook.

There are a lot of things Firefox and Thunderbird do not need; but
that's also what extensions are for.  You can add a cron, add a
scheduled task (Windows; or write a light service to do it for you), or
what have you... but if you want a menu option, you can do that too.

It's called making (closer to) everyone happy, so long as they're
willing to work.  You need this when your software product deals with
end-users.  You can't tell them they don't want what they want, it just
does not work... unless your goal is to have only a certain subset of
power users.

I've always disliked IMAP, because I prefer to use multiple email
accounts and I don't want them separate, nor do I want them (or have the
ability, in some cases, to have them) forwarded to each other.  I have
all my email organized in a few separate folders, as well as in an
Archived Messages folder.  Thunderbird would force me to have separate
folder structures for each account, mirroring the IMAP folders.  Bleh.

Unfortunately, this happens now in all my folders, even my Inbox, which
is actually my smallest folder.  It has nothing to do with me not
organizing or archiving my messages.  I had a nice discussion with
someone from mozillazine.org's support about it, and the decision was
that compacting took it from every day to every week, and so it was the
solution.  I thought I had it gone at one point, but it still happens.

And, really, I honestly hate that Thunderbird moves my spam and other
things in a multi-step process.  I don't like seeing it jump in and out
of folders, or etc.  Often I have to click a folder to have them go
away, so I never know if I really have new mail.  Incidentally, it's
when it does this that I get the crash; part of why I dislike it.

-[Unknown]