Windows woes

Alex Stevenson ans104SPAM at ISBADcs.york.ac.uk
Fri Mar 31 10:15:48 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>>> Turns out, I did have a trojan rootkit on my system. arrgh!
>>
>> Any idea how that happened / made it onto your system? (it has me
>> worried that
>> virus scanning didn't pick it up).
>
> I have no idea how it got on. Being a trojan, I must have run something.
> I'm usually very careful about not running anything I am not sure of,
> careful enough that this is the first virus/trojan I've had in 10 years.
>
> I'm almost to the point of using a separate sacrificial machine for web
> surfing.

VMware provide a "Browser Appliance" prebuilt virtual machine, I think
it's just a minimal Ubuntu Linux plus Firefox. A VM just for web apps
seems a little extreme to me, but it's probably not as extreme as using
a dedicated machine and it's cheaper, VMware Player being free.