Windows woes

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Fri Mar 31 13:43:19 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Dave wrote:

>>> Turns out, I did have a trojan rootkit on my system. arrgh!
>>
>> Any idea how that happened / made it onto your system? (it has me
>> worried that virus scanning didn't pick it up).
>
> I have no idea how it got on. Being a trojan, I must have run
> something. I'm usually very careful about not running anything I am
> not sure of, careful enough that this is the first virus/trojan I've
> had in 10 years.
>
> I'm almost to the point of using a separate sacrificial machine for
> web surfing.

You _should_! I do. Some Really In-The-Know people do. And they're not
even paranoid.

This has not come up, but now having thrown OE for Thunderbird, would
you like to consider Firefox for IE? Rumors tell me that merely visiting
hostile sites can install a rootkit, without you even touching a "link"
on the page. On IE, that is.

---

PS, D might not feel like any Military Grade, High Treason, National
Secrets. (At least I wouldn't feel like it if I had developed it.) But,
to others, (ask the spooks or the Pygmy's guys,) D stuff might really be
Important Stuff. (Or at least a trophy.)

Not to mention that even if (!) we all (!) do consider D as a lot safer
[than the others], a yellow-paper headline telling the world that the
Afganisthans stole the D back-end source code, would be an irreparable
dent. In the Public Image of the "D Programming Language" anyway. Right?

Oh and please, don't _ever_ install a firewall or a NAT box at
home!!!!!!!!! (Trust me, I know what I'm doing! (Quoted from the TV
show, I forget the name.))

ONLY have EACH individual computer protected with it's OWN firewall!!!