Missing version(Unix). Again.

James Dunne james.jdunne at gmail.com
Tue May 2 07:28:44 PDT 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Anders F Björklund wrote:
>  >

>> I'm not really sure why Ares changed the name from Unix to Posix,
>> surely there was a good reason for doing it differently from GDC ?
>> "Unix", see http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D.gnu/1212
>> (hope it doesn't mean that we need *three* versions, in the above)
>

> "POSIX" is an API spec, while "UNIX" is merely a generic term for some
> systems that implement that spec.  I thought it made more sense to say
> whether your OS supported the API and leave OS-specific stuff to what's
> actually OS-specific (in sys/*).  Admittedly, sys/linux/c still contains
> a bunch of stuff that's actually a part of POSIX, but I'm trying to
> phase it out as it's implemented in the POSIX headers.
>

> Sean

POSIX is a very loosely defined spec.  It would be difficult to identify
the OSes that claim to be POSIX-compliant that implement radically
different behavior.  This is why there are so many POSIX-compliant OSes,
NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBDS, Linux, Solaris, etc.  Each one of them takes a
different stance on how the spec should be implemented, the corner
cases, etc.  I'm no expert in such things, but it poses a difficult
problem for application developers.

--

James Dunne