Image format libraries, raytracers and stuff

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 10:00:02 PDT 2006

I know that there's been some discussion in the past about image format
libraries.  A quick google reveals this

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/23447.html

which points me to DevIL (fka OpenIL), its D bindings, and Andrew
Fedoniouk's effort, but they've since disappeared.

So, is there an image library with a decent D interface out there at the
moment?

Also, I've noticed that one or two people have had a go at writing a
raytracing engine in D

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/4286.html

but again, the code's disappeared AFAICS.  I've started playing with the
idea of writing one myself.  My effort goes by the name D3 (basically a
play on D and 3D) at the moment.  I'm writing it as a library, but
haven't decided if it'll eventually grow into a code interpreter like
Rayshade or POV-Ray.

But any graphics rendering engine could do with a hook-up to an image
format library.  (Probably as one of a few options for how the image
will be output, with other possibilities including Windows GDI bitmaps
and raw data in memory.)  But what library, if any, would be a good choice?

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.