Today the Hobbyist, Tommorow, The World!

Kyle Furlong kylefurlong at gmail.com
Wed May 3 00:12:49 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> I'm becoming more and more convinced that D needs a polished presence.
>> How did Java succeed? Marketing. Plain and simple, the first revisions
>> sucked, but got evangelized extremely effectively. How much better,
>> since we have a quality compiler, to market it.
>
> Java also had a billion dollars behind it and pushing. And as they say
> in the Air Force, with enough power even a brick outhouse will fly <g>.
>
>> I think I understand the attitude of Walter and some others. That is,
>> that the merits of the language are self evident to the people who it
>> is written for, e.g. those who seek will find. So from this point of
>> view, marketing is unnecessary, word of mouth about the merits of the
>> language will do this work for us.
>
> That isn't my attitude at all. I spend probably half of each day
> evangelizing the language. This involves:
>
> 1) identifying influential people in the programming community who could
> be interested in D, and letting them know about it
>
> 2) talking with webmasters of relevant programming sites to try to get D
> mentioned on their sites
>
> 3) preparing presentations, giving them
>
> 4) watching for relevant discussions coming up outside of our local
> newsgroups
>
> 5) in general, trying to ensure that D has a strong presence on the
> internet
>
> I think this has been reasonably successful. A year ago, it was normal
> for people to have never heard of D. Now, it is normal for people to
> have heard of D, but not know much about it. The next step is to help
> them know more about it.
>
> I know some of you are out there doing the same thing, and that is very
> helpful. More would be better, of course!
>

>> While I appreciate this feeling, this mode of operation will only gain
>> us a certain base of users, i.e. hobbyists and one man operations who
>> can afford to invest in a new language on just its merits. Everyone
>> else (read, the majority of the IT world) cannot form decisions only
>> on the merits of a compiler. Organizations need reassurances of a
>> polished presence. This means documentation, support, packaging, and
>> marketing.
>
> I agree, there's plenty of room for improvement there.
>
>> To this end, I propose the formation of an organization/committee,
>> headed by Walter, to guide the process of creating this polished
>> presence.
>>
>> Some things which this committee should consider are:
>>
>> 1. Unified std library which is 100% covered and stable.
>>
>> Aside: I am strongly biased to creating this library out of Ares +
>> Mango. No offense Walter, but Sean and Kris' code is higher quality at
>> this point.
>
> That's fine with me.
>
>> 2. Formation of a GUI /team/ to pick and/or develop further a cross
>> platform solution.
>>
>> Aside: It must be a team. DWT is stagnant because Shawn doesnt have
> [...]

Well, I definitely don't expect or even want overnight changes. I agree
that the plan should be ramped up with careful thought.

As to your evangelizing efforts, I'm sorry that I underestimated your
investment. Please continue the good work, as I do see the progress that
D has been making in getting mindshare.

--
Kyle Furlong // Physics Undergrad, UCSB

"D is going wherever the D community wants it to go." - Walter Bright