Phobos (Re: Today the Hobbyist, Tommorow, The World!)

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed May 3 02:24:18 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:

> Kyle Furlong wrote:

>> To this end, I propose the formation of an organization/committee,
>> headed by Walter, to guide the process of creating this polished
>> presence.
>>
>> Some things which this committee should consider are:
>>
>> 1. Unified std library which is 100% covered and stable.
>>
>> Aside: I am strongly biased to creating this library out of Ares +
>> Mango. No offense Walter, but Sean and Kris' code is higher quality at
>> this point.
>
> That's fine with me.

So, does this now mean that Phobos, GPhobos, and Ares should be merged ?

As in, splitting the Phobos library up - into the 3 Ares subcomponents:
* the runtime library (phobos.lib)
**  the DMD compiler runtime (dmdrt.lib)
**  the DMD garbage collector (dmdgc.lib)
**  the standard library (ares.lib)

I guess we have a few items to sort out then, like: linux/Unix/Posix,
and what the module hierarchy should look like and other similar things.
(but better support for posix and win32 headers would be a good change)

Or did you just mean it as in "it's OK that theirs is higher quality" ?

--anders