Image format libraries, raytracers and stuff

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 05:41:03 PDT 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:e3a2ue$1v58$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>> 2. The distribution contains .obj files that obviously aren't compiler
>> object files, which is what almost every MS-DOS or Windows programmer is
>> used to the extension meaning.
>
> And which almost every 3D artist knows is the Wavefront OBJ format, one of
> the most ubiquitous mesh interchange formats out there ;)

Just looked it up

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/mxr/gfx/3d/OBJ.spec

Hmm....

And I see the other WaveFront format is .mod, which is what the Fortrash
compilers I've used use for module information files.

>> 3. It requires OpenGL.  OTOH, I'm going for something more self-contained.
>
> As if OpenGL isn't supported on, well, everything?

Good question.  But how many OSs come with OpenGL installed as standard?

If the purpose is to write your own renderer, then what part does OpenGL
play anyway?  It's got me pondering over where Sol's own code ends and
OpenGL begins.

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.