Today the Hobbyist, Tommorow, The World!

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Thu May 4 05:43:19 PDT 2006

David Gileadi wrote:
> nick wrote:
>  >> What we need is a dprogramming.com marketing site, with examples,
>  >> tutorials, a beginniner package, and flashy stuff.

True.

>  > I will donate an existing layout or make a new one.

 From what the mockup looks like, you'd be a good choice for the job!

> Here's a mockup I've started, having been thinking much along the same
> lines as Kyle.  It's loosely based on www.mono-project.com  Hopefully it
> can help the discussion.
>
> http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mockup5ey.jpg (forgive the
> imageshack hosting)

It really looks nice! It kind of immediately invites you to pay a visit.

Oh, and that particular style also (IMHO) reflects seriousness,
dependability, real professionals behind it, and overall something that
isn't dying away tomorrow.

> Obviously the front page needs a lot more content.  I was thinking that
> the "What is D?" section should have links to the following:
>
>   - Comparison
>   - Examples
>   - Docs
>   - License
>
> I also think there should be a small section before or after giving a
> quick explanation of what D is, why I should use it, maybe what
> platforms it works on, etc.
>
> The "What's New" section might contain the latest releases from the
> changelog as well as any community announcements (maybe culled from
> d.announce).

Definitely!

It's just imperative that the page contains something "new" or "fresh"
each time you go see it. Stale pages are "so Eighties". ((I know the WWW
was only invented in the nineties.))

> Of course this would require someone to maintain the list :)
>
> Finally I beg Walter's forgiveness for modifying the DigitalMars logo. I
> just think it looks better this way :)

FWIW, I too think your version of the DM logo looks a lot better.

It's also more balanced. And it puts fewer restraints on using it in
different sizes tha the original, where the graphic quickly gets too
small, or the word Mars too big. And it looks more like it's been
designed by professionals. ((Sorry, Walter!))