Image format libraries, raytracers and stuff

James Dunne james.jdunne at gmail.com
Thu May 4 19:37:01 PDT 2006

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> James Dunne wrote:
>
>> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> And I see the other WaveFront format is .mod, which is what the
>>> Fortrash compilers I've used use for module information files.
>>

>> .MOD to me means an Amiga multi-track music sequence file.
>

> That reminds me.  OUAT there was a sound card that included in its
> bundled Windows software a program called Modus, which IIRC played .mod
> files.
>
>> Hey, even DOC used to mean plain-text document back in DOS.
>

> And some programs would even use filename extensions that are already
> used by programs that ship with the OS on which they run.  For example,
> IIRC Windows Paint, Freelance Graphics and Paint Shop Pro all use .pal
> for their palette files, but they're different file formats.  And
> wxCLIPS uses .clp even in its Windows version, whereas .clp is also a
> Windows clipboard image.
>
> Also, some filename extensions are deliberately chosen to confuse.  For
> example, see
>
> http://esoteric.sange.fi/orphaned/bak/
>
>> ...and what's so bad about Fortran (if I assume correctly that
>> Fortrash is derived from)?
>
> <snip>
>
> I guess it just doesn't have all the power of D I'm used to.
>
> OK, so built-in vector arithmetic is one of the few good things about
> it....
>
> Stewart.

Well, one can hardly blame Fortran for its age now... Still, it has its
uses; and that is for people who aren't necessarily programmers by
nature.  For instance, those in engineering and physics fields find it a
very powerful language in which to express complicated mathematical models.

However, built-in vector arithmetic is something D would certainly
enjoy, especially in the context of multimedia development!  Intrinsics
anyone?

--
Regards,
James Dunne