Fortran and stuff (was: Image format libraries, raytracers and stuff)

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 03:30:02 PDT 2006

James Dunne wrote:
<snip>
> Well, one can hardly blame Fortran for its age now... Still, it has its
> uses; and that is for people who aren't necessarily programmers by
> nature.  For instance, those in engineering and physics fields find it a
> very powerful language in which to express complicated mathematical models.

I've seen statements to the contrary.

http://www.fortranstatement.com/cgi-bin/petition.pl

"Scientists of all domains struggle to stay current in their own fields,
and the notion that they must also master the arcane concepts of a 700
page reference from another science entirely is neither practical nor
appropriate."

And I'm still curious about what was going on in the brain of F90's
inventor when he/she/it decided to keep such things as a hard limit on
line lengths.

> However, built-in vector arithmetic is something D would certainly
> enjoy, especially in the context of multimedia development!  Intrinsics
> anyone?

Walter intended including it in D, but then withdrew it.  But see

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/16647.html

I *believe* it'll be back after 1.0 is out.

I reckon D could one day supersede Fortran....

Stewart.

--

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on
the 'group where everyone may benefit.