D Online Presence

nick nick.atamas at gmail.com
Sat May 6 12:16:21 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> nick wrote:

> What's wrong with www.digitalmars.com/d/ as an official site?
Do you mean the domain name or the site itself? I suppose the best
domain name would be www.d.org but I'm sure it's taken;
digitalmars.com/d is good enough as it is a top hit on google already.

The site itself looks a bit outdated(layout/style-wise); thus my effort
with the new layout. In addition, it would be nice if you hosted a wiki
there(there are many options here, Mediawiki isn't necessarily the best
choice).

Finally, I think the front page for the official D website could borrow
some ideas from here: http://rubyonrails.org/
Specifically, I the big 4 todo items.

>> http://hcoop.net/~natamas/d/template.html (improvements pending)
>
> This shows a lot of promise. A couple nits:
>
> 1) is it does not adjust when the window size is changed.
I will create a stylesheet that resizes the layout with window size.

At the moment, the width is locked on purpose. It prevents people from
making the site too wide and resulting in a difficult read (the ideal
width for reading is 60-80 characters/line). You can change the size of
the site by changing the font size(Ctrl-wheel or Ctrl-0/-/+ in firefox).

> 2) it uses javascript to change the look when a mouse is over something,
> can the style sheet 'hover' thing be used instead?
It doesn't, actually. It uses hover to change the appearance. It uses
javascript to disable an outline that firefox draws around the tabs when
you click on them. It is somewhat of a hack, which can easily be removed.