D Online Presence

nick nick.atamas at gmail.com
Sat May 6 16:38:39 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> nick wrote:
>> Justin C Calvarese wrote:

> That should be Helmut!
>

>>> The content of is Wiki4D licensed under the Free Document License
>>> (http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FreeDocumentationLicense): "In
>>> short: you may use, copy and change them, but the origin and your
>>> changes must be transparent and you must keep their FDL status. All the
>>> details should be taken from the original document made available by the
>>> GNU organisation...".
>>
>> Fantastic; that's a green light for copying the content.
>
> True, but even so, Helmut has taken the initiative on it, done a lot of
> work on it, and deserves thanks and consideration regarding any changes.

Yes, despite being published under the free doc license, I would feel
much better about copying content if I had the authors' permissions.

I think Helmut feels very strongly about the wiki4d.
Apparently, prowiki is quite popular in Germany. It doesn't seem to show
up on wikipedia's wiki comparison chart though.

The following things matter in a wiki:
 - wiki engine must stack up well here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

 - wiki engine must produces modern html

 - wiki's URL has to show that it's part of the official D site (e.g.
wiki.dprogramming.com or wiki.digitalmars.com)

 - wiki should look like the rest of the official D site.

 - desirable bonus: wiki should automatically highlight D code or
provide plugins such that a code highlighter may be written.