if just D becomes official part of GCC asap

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun May 7 15:04:21 PDT 2006

Cris wrote:

> if just D becomes official part of GCC asap...

There are two problems with this, at the moment.

1) In order to be GNU, all copyright should be FSF
    http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/

2) GDC doesn't work with the release series of GCC
    http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.1/

> and gets official GDB support...

Same goes for being an offical part of GDB, I guess.

But it is possible now to use and package a version
of GDC that uses a custom GCC/GDB of older releases,
(including using the older "system" GCC compilers)
so I don't think it is a major obstacle to using D ?

> as well as better documentation a real multiplatform
> GUI lib and of course a good IDE...

No argument about the need for Doc/GUI/IDE, though...
(including better packaging of the D toolchain itself)

However, there *are* some community efforts going on.

--anders