Does D support multithreading inherently?

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon May 8 00:39:42 PDT 2006

Someone wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry if this has been asked before. I didn't know how to search (:noob).
>
> Does D support multithreading inherently?

Sort of.  D currently supports multithreading via the Thread class in
std.thread, and the keyword "synchronized."  There's also a "volatile"
keyword, but it doesn't do what you'd expect and is really more useful
for lock-free programming.  So at the moment, D is fairly well suited
for general multithreaded programming but has little in the way of
specialized concurrency support.

 > What is the concurrency mechanism used?

Threads wrapped in library code, for the most part.  There has been some
talk on this forum of experimenting with additional concurrency support,
but nothing solid yet.

Sean