[OT] D Online Presence

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Mon May 8 16:40:05 PDT 2006

nick wrote:
> Yet another reason I like MoinMoin: it has internationalization support.
> As far as appearances go, the site doesn't need to look super pretty. It
> is probably more important to not look bad than it is to look really
> good. It is important to conjure up as few negative emotions as possible
> in your average Internet reader/potential D enthusiast.
>
> I have set up a temporary MoinMoin install on my Powerbook while I'm
> creating the D Theme for it (html template available here:
> www.hcoop.net/~natamas/d/template.html).
>

> Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
>> That one most people are better at following.  Although most interactive
>> developers don't bother to send correct caching headers.
>>
>> It's really not that bad, though, I can think of many examples of sites
>> that were well-designed and were easy to make accessible while still
>> following the design.
>>
>> I just do interactive sites, though; I'm no artist.  As far as making
>> the online presence of D feel right, accessible, interactive, and
>> responsive - I could help.  But I can't help make it look pretty.
>>
>> Anyway, I might also mention that whatever avenues you pursue, you also
>> add to that list you have keeping internationalization and localization
>> in mind.  Eventually you will want these things, I think.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -[Unknown]

Let me say I too am one of those who isn't very found of this new
design. I think utility and usability are more important, and although
the current site could use some minor cosmetic changes, I too think this
new template is "too pretty".
For instance, those "d" and "c++" outlines on the code samples, yuck.
And I also don't like the dark style, the rounded tabs, the too small
width of the the left navigation bar as the well the bold text there. I
do realize, however, that this is a particularly subjective issue.

Also, let me take this opportunity to make a remark (regarding
functionality). There should be an accessible way on the site to search
the documentation only. Currently the NG archives are searched as well,
and they get most of the search results :/ . Basically I mean something
like the following google search:
site:digitalmars.com/d -digitalmars.com/d/archives FOOBAR
(thx dbot)

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student