version and debug statements

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu May 11 10:46:15 PDT 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:

> For what it's worth, I think it would be useful for the 'Posix' version
> to be added, so any system supporting POSIX would have version 'Posix'
> automatically specified in addition to any OS version identifier.  This
> would be similar to how Windows platforms also have either 'Win32' or
> 'Win64' defined.  While a good bit of POSIX declarations are indeed
> implementation dependent, an equally large amount are not, and I believe
> it would be useful for a version identifier to reflect this.

GDC already uses (as in: actively, currently, in use) "Unix" for this:

Windows
- Win32
- Win64
Unix
- linux
- darwin
- freebsd
- cygwin
- solaris

Most if not all code currently including "std.c.linux.linux" with DMD,
can be compiled by using the portable "std.c.unix.unix" in GDC instead.

I was just hoping to avoid a fair amount of the needed copy and paste...

--anders

PS. See also http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/D/gnu/1208.html
     "I'm not planning on changing Unix to Posix." -- David Friedman