version and debug statements

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Thu May 11 16:27:34 PDT 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:

> But if I understand you correctly, it is *better* to do an "assert(0);"
> on those other systems than to try the generic code and hope it works ?
> I must say I prefer autotools then, even if they have their wrinkles.

Shipping production code for an OS that has never been even tried on
that OS is not a good idea. In that case, having an assert in it *is*
better because it's a red flag for the maintainer of that OS that he's
got some work to do folding in new capability, and most importantly
testing it.

I know from long and bitter experience that if you ship code that isn't
tested, it's *guaranteed* to not work.