version and debug statements

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Fri May 12 07:27:39 PDT 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Anders F Björklund wrote:

>>> DMD supports Windows and Linux; Unix is neither. For a compiler which
>>> targets the Unix operating system, it should set the Unix version.
>>
>> It does... I was just hoping to be able to use the same code for both ?
>>
>> GDC has chosen "Unix" as the name for all of them, while Ares uses
>> "Posix". The naming doesn't matter as much, as long as it is defined.
>
> For what it's worth, I chose "Posix" because it refers to the API rather
> than to a subset of systems that support that API.  But I agree that
> both are sufficiently general that they could be considered equivalent.

Are they (equivalent)? How about Cygwin which "is a DLL implementing
most of the POSIX API on top of Windows". Does it count as Unix? How can
this fit into D's (current or alternative) versioning scheme of things?

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student