build in the compiler was Re: version and debug statements

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Wed May 10 19:05:07 PDT 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006 10:57:33 +1000, Ameer Armaly
<ameer_armaly at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Derek Parnell" <derek at psych.ward> wrote in message
> news:op.s9c0g6vc6b8z09 at ginger...

>>> Perhaps, but does this functionality really fall under the domain of a
>>> project management and automation program?
>>
>> I neither know nor care. ;-)
>>
> But that's exactly my point- a macro processor is independent of
> automatic
> building, so why stuff them together in the same package, especially
> since
> it almost invents a new layered language?  Furthermore, since building is
> really nothing mroe than taking advantage of already present information
> in
> the compilation phase, it would be redundant not to at least consider the
> idea of combining the two.  By not knowing and caring, you're essentially
> putting together a secondary layered compiler with various features but
> without any consideration as to whether or not they actually belong
> there.

So? If the tool is not worth using then don't use it. I'm not going to
lose any sleep over it. The purpose of Build is to automate the 'building'
process and if text processing can help somebody with that, it offers it.

I could have made a separate Text Processing Utility (which I might just
do anyhow), but for now, my 'macro' library is being used by Build rather
than having a separate process. So such an attitude might not sit well
with tool chain purists but I simply don't care for now. The source is
freely available for anyone to fork the tool.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia