Why std.stdio and not std.io ?

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sat May 13 01:38:12 PDT 2006

Lucas Goss wrote:
> Ok that explains std.cstream, but isn't std.ctype a translation of
> ctype.h? Well I guess it doesn't use any C library, but it's essentially
> a copy ctype.h.

No. The std.c.ctype functions are exactly the same as the corresponding
C <ctype.h> functions, i.e. they work with code pages, locales, etc. D
is a unicode language, and the std.ctype functions specifically only
work with ASCII (use the std.uni functions for unicode). Having the
separate std.ctype functions is because they are much simpler and faster
than the std.uni ones.

std.uni isn't called std.unicode because unicode is trademarked.