Why std.stdio and not std.io ?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 14 02:30:54 PDT 2006

John C wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>> Check this out: http://www.unicode.org/policies/logo_policy.html
>>
>> Sounds pretty heavy-handed.  If you wanted to use 'unicode' in the name
>> of the module, it looks like it would have to be named:
>>
>>     std/supportfortheunicode™standard.d
>>
>> And yes, that ™ MUST be there (at least, they say it must).  This'd be
>> funny in the D docs:
>>
>> "To use the D functions in support of the Unicode™ Standard, you should
>> import the support for the Unicode™ Standard standard module like so:
>>
>>     "import std.longAnnoyingJavaStyleNames.supportForTheUnicode"
>> (Alt+0153)
>> "Standard;"
>>
>> If you're not running Windows, then... umm... I dunno... use copy and
>> paste?"
>>
>> Whilst according to their own policy, the abbreviation "Uni-" is generic
>> enough that it isn't protected by trademarks.  In that light, viva la
>> "std.uni" :)
>>
>>     -- Daniel
>>
>> Sean Kelly wrote:

>>> It is?  *sigh*  People really need to stop doing that.
>>>

>>> Sean
>>

> Surely you're taking this too literally. Both Windows and Linux are
> trademarked, and yet the std library uses those as module/file names.

Very probably.  I *was* half-joking; but still, given what that page
says, I'd go with 'uni' myself just to make absolutely sure.  Their
trademark policy only seems to cover using their name in product
descriptions, etc.  In any case, I think Walter made the right choice.

Incidentally, I never knew that Unicode had a logo.  Guess no one uses
it because of the trademark stuff :P

Aah, intellectual property law is such fun...

	-- Daniel

--

v1sw5+8Yhw5ln4+5pr6OFma8u6+7Lw4Tm6+7l6+7D
a2Xs3MSr2e4/6+7t4TNSMb6HTOp5en5g6RAHCP    http://hackerkey.com/