A gentle critque..

Ben Cooley Ben_member at pathlink.com
Mon May 15 07:39:51 PDT 2006

In article <e494td$jvc$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Hasan Aljudy says...

>I only agree with 2 points: the lack of a rich library, and the lack (so
>far) of an IDE, but the lattar is not part of the language per se.
>
>Guess what, I came to D because I hated C++.
>C++ has the worst set of libraries ever. If you compare what C++ has vs.
>what Java has, the Java libraries would win anyday!
>Even if the same library was written for both Java and C++, the Java
>version would always win. (look at the ICU library for example).

I don't disagree.  However it's simply not possible to do any sort of practical
programming without using these libraries, and it's extremely tedious to have to
wrap each library.  C plus plus is not as clean or as nice to program in as D,
but at least I don't have to wrap all of the external code that I need to use..
and the code I write will also be useful to other C/C++ programmers.  That's
what you're up against here.

Again.. Java and C# have their own advatages which tend to outweigh some of the
disadvantages of not having direct and immediate access to system level
libraries written in C and C++.  Yet D is intended as a system level programming
languages.  The fact that it can't understand the entire body of system level
code in C and C plus plus, and it doesn't play nice with C plus plus is a
serious.. probably fatal.. drawback.  It really doesn't have to be that way
though.

>Java and C# succeeded without dealing with any of the C++ crap; C++
>wasn't a show stopper for them.
>Infact, I bet C++'s stupidity was a recruitment tool for Java and C#. It
>can also be a recruitment tool for D.

It can be.. but I think it's wishful thinking to compare D to C# or java for a
number of reasons.