DirectX (Re: A gentle critque..)

jcc7 jcc7_member at pathlink.com
Mon May 15 10:32:00 PDT 2006

In article <e4aac7$2dm3$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, sailormoontw says...

>For example, about the DirectX Wrapper what I can find the latest one is one >in a Japanese site. http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA031566/d_direct3d9/, I've
>searched the D Forum and there seems no newer version of DirectX wrapper. I
>downloaded the hdk library, and when I linked the library with its sample >codes, the optlink fails with a runtime exception.

Does it provide an error message? Please include that information.

Are you trying to use a Microsoft-style .lib file? You'd probably need to
convert the MS (COFF format) .lib to the OMF format that Digital Mars tools
need. Fortunately, there's a tool that can help.

>From http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D.announce/2405:

"I've written a small utility that will convert import libraries in Microsoft
COFF format to the OMF format used by the Digital Mars linker. This should
make it much easier to keep import libraries updated with whatever the
latest from Microsoft is.

"ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/coffimplib.zip

"Consider it a beta. Let me know about any problems with it."

>I know it must be the version imcompatible, and then, I try to recompile the >source. Not only did I find some codes need to rewrite but after all the codes >seemed fixed to get a successful compilation, some the samples still cannot >run at all. I find its for the mqoreader.d, but should I spend time to debug >it??

I think it's actually some kind of .lib file in the wrong format instead, but I
could be wrong.

>Nope, it's hard to debug other's code, and I can feel the frustration of the
>author of hdk for the frequent changing of D. I think that's the reason he or
>she stopped upgrading. And if I want to upgrade the codes, I think I will face
>the same problem, and not to say there isn't a good debugger to help.

Eventually, we'll have a D 1.0 release, and that'll fix some of these problems
of outdated source.

>Well, maybe I should not choose DirectX, SDL with derelict library seems more
>stable and ready. I still hope there is a good DirectX wrapper to use...

Maybe. I don't really have any experience with DirectX or SDL, so I don't know
anything about this topic. But I know that others do have experience with these
issues, so I think you can find various suitable libraries and bindings. You
might just stumble into some old files first. But updated file are often
available. If you ask us, we'll help you locate them.

jcc7