A gentle critque..

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Mon May 15 12:46:57 PDT 2006

sailormoontw wrote:
> My problem, maybe not related to this topic, is that the D programs written in
> maybe 2002 2003 2004 is not compatible with the current D compiler, and the
> library is not compatible too. I got a error using the optlink.
>
> Those authors I don't know why but they might lose interest of D, they just
> don't release newer version of their D program, and the old programs cannot be
> used and I need to re-write them if I want to use.

There have been some code-breaking changes in D, however, every one of
them needs only trivial source code changes to update them. Secondly,
all versions of the D compiler are available for download, so one can
still get the version of dmd that the code was designed for. And lastly,
with any programming language, it makes unavoidable sense to archive the
compiler and relevant build tools along with the source code to any
critical project.

After all, in the process of standardization, even C broke existing
code. (Remember the reiser preprocessor? sign preserving integral
promotions?)