A gentle critque..

Tom S h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl
Mon May 15 13:18:27 PDT 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> There have been some code-breaking changes in D, however, every one of
>> them needs only trivial source code changes to update them. Secondly,
>> all versions of the D compiler are available for download, so one can
>> still get the version of dmd that the code was designed for. And
>> lastly, with any programming language, it makes unavoidable sense to
>> archive the compiler and relevant build tools along with the source
>> code to any critical project.
>>
>> After all, in the process of standardization, even C broke existing
>> code. (Remember the reiser preprocessor? sign preserving integral
>> promotions?)
>
> Not to mention the fact that D is still in beta--changes are to be
> expected at this point.

I couldn't agree more (with Walter and Sean). I keep hearing how D
changes so fast that it's impossible to keep track with its current
state and specification - but I keep hearing that from people who
haven't *really* taken a look at D and its evolution. I've been
maintaining a codebase of around 30K LoC since around DMD.086 and the
modifications required to make it compile with DMD.157 have been marginal.
As far as I am concerned, even changes that might require more work are
welcome because each one of them makes the language better.

Keep up the great work, Walter !

--

Tomasz Stachowiak  /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/