Why std.stdio and not std.io ?

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon May 15 14:25:42 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> std.uni isn't called std.unicode because unicode is trademarked.
>>
>> I don't really see how you'd be infringing the trademark by simply
>> using it as part of the name of a library module for Unicode support.
>>
>> Is it really any different from products having names in the form "X
>> for Windows"?
>
> See: http://www.unicode.org/policies/logo_policy.html

Technically, I think modules names may be exempt as the language all
concerns logos, documentation, and packaging.  But it's simply not worth
the trouble, particularly for a standard library that others are
expected to adopt.  I currently have a "std.unicode" module in Ares and
plan to change it now that I know this.  Frankly, I find it exceedingly
irritating that an open standard such as Unicode (tm) should have such
restrictions, and I wish I could simply thumb my nose at them and adopt
a different standard, but such is life.

Sean