A gentle critque..

Mike Parker aldacron71 at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 18:36:24 PDT 2006

Chad J wrote:

> No.  I wouldn't know.
>
> If the objection to this sort of thing is technical, then I'm fine.
> What bugs me is that the objection seems to be based on some kind of
> fear that DMD's support of C plus plus would imply that other compilers
> must support it.  I disagree.
>
> It's like saying that if I were to make an external tool to translate C
> plus plus headers to D, that it would automagically become part of the
> language spec and everyone would have to use it forever.

It's safe to say that it's technically infeasible to do. But the other
argument also has merit. Anything Walter builds into the compiler, or
distributes with it, will be perceived as part of D whether it is in the
spec or not. It doesn't matter that the perception is wrong. If people
believe it, that's all it takes. Having a tool hosted by a third party
on another site is altogether different. But because of the complexity,
don't expect Walter to do it anonymously or otherwise. It's a horrid
misapplication of resources.