A gentle critque..

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Mon May 15 23:32:17 PDT 2006

sailormoontw wrote:
> For example, about the DirectX Wrapper what I can find the latest one is one in
> a Japanese site. http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA031566/d_direct3d9/, I've
> searched the D Forum and there seems no newer version of DirectX wrapper. I
> downloaded the hdk library, and when I linked the library with its sample codes,
> the optlink fails with a runtime exception. I know it must be the version
> imcompatible, and then, I try to recompile the source. Not only did I find some
> codes need to rewrite but after all the codes seemed fixed to get a successful
> compilation, some the samples still cannot run at all. I find its for the
> mqoreader.d, but should I spend time to debug it??
>
> Nope, it's hard to debug other's code, and I can feel the frustration of the
> author of hdk for the frequent changing of D. I think that's the reason he or
> she stopped upgrading. And if I want to upgrade the codes, I think I will face
> the same problem, and not to say there isn't a good debugger to help.
>
> Well, maybe I should not choose DirectX, SDL with derelict library seems more
> stable and ready. I still hope there is a good DirectX wrapper to use...

The Windows API project
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?WindowsAPI
is well on the way towards converting all of the Windows API headers
(including DirectX) into D. Stewart Gordon has done a great job of
ensuring that this will be the definitive translation in D, and many of
these types of problems will disappear once this project is complete,
because we'll have a standard code base to improve.