A gentle critque..

Paulo Herrera pauloh81 at yahoo.ca
Tue May 16 14:54:56 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:

> Those are good parallels, and it's good you brought that up. Working C++
> legacy code is not going away and is not going to be translated to D.
> What will happen is *new* code will be done in D.

Walter,
I guess you have good reasons to think in this way, but my experience is
different.

I've been in two different graduate schools and at two different
departments (Civil Engineering and Earth Sciences). I think the
situation in those departments in different to what people observe in a
CS department. In both places I met people that buy expensive Fortran
compilers not only to compile old libraries, but to write new code. I
know people that write large parallel codes in Fortran and that use a C
library (PETSc) for the core numerical routines. Most of them are young
researchers, so they learned Fortran few years ago. So, I don't think
Fortran is still around because of old legacy code or "old legacy
programmers".

I think most of that people use Fortran because there wasn't anything
better for that kind of code. I think/hope D can be a viable alternative.

Paulo.