A gentle critque..

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Tue May 16 21:30:53 PDT 2006

John Reimer wrote:
> Just curious: how does Fortran scale for use of parallel computations?
> Perhaps some Fortran compilers are more advanced in that field than
> C/C++?  If so, lack of intrinsic (computational) parallel support (ie,
> easily programmable) could be a short-coming that D might continue to
> share with C/C++?  Could this also be a reason Fortran still remains
> more attractive to some extent?

The C/C++ compiler vendors, to a large extent, just don't "get it" when
it comes to numerics code. For evidence of that, you don't need to look
further than dropping 80 bit floating point support. I just can't take
seriously the numerics capability of a compiler that doesn't even
support the basic FPU types that have been around for 20 years.

For another, you should see some of the postings people have sent to me
about how C++'s <complex> class is good enough.