A gentle critque..

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Wed May 17 22:16:08 PDT 2006

Brad Roberts schrieb:
> On Wed, 17 May 2006, dennis luehring wrote:
>>> However, I'm talking only about gcc's object file
>>> format.
>> g++ has the most unstable c++ abi in the hole c++ compiler world
>> the gcc c++ abi changes from version to version - i think ~100 times :-) since
>> 2.9xxx
>> the abi for the 4.x seem to become a "little bit" more stable
> Since gcc 3.0 that's not been true.  The abi adopted with gcc 3.0 and
> beyond is based on a spec that's been agreed upon by all the major unix
> compiler vendors.  There's been a few fixes primarily in 3.2 and 3.3 (if I
> remember right) to fix some corner cases.  Since 3.4 there haven't been
> any major abi changes that I can recall.  The same can be said of the hp,
> sun, ibm, etc compilers.. their first releases of the new abi weren't
> perfect either.  For the last several years, each has been stable and
> compatible.

ok, ok ("~100 times" was a joke) but there are enough small changes in
the last years to call the (*nix) c++ abi still unstable - do you think
the abi is nowerdays stable enough to become integrated into the D linker?

> The only major vendor today that _doesn't_ support this abi is microsoft
> (and borland if you want to count them).

a D features to link c++ code without these two major vendors makes
absolutly no sens (to me) - where can i find docs about there abis

ciao dennis