d-programming-language.org template

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Thu May 18 03:09:42 PDT 2006

Brian Hay wrote:
> On 18/05/2006 10:17 AM, nick wrote:
>> Tiberiu Gal wrote:
>>
>>> http://dworks.marte.ro/template3
>>
>> I am not trying to push my layout so much as I don't want everyone to go
>> and make their own (this is a common trend in the D community). Also, I
>> am concerned (read "I am almost certain") that the template you suggest
>> will be impossible to implement well with just CSS.
>>
>> The most immediate problem is that you seem to rely on a lot of images;
>> how will you handle font size scaling without using tables?

I think it's possible to create that page without any intensive use of
tables - div-elements in xhtml help a lot. Those background gradients
aren't that heavy either (~200x1 px PNG). I don't like those antialiased
fonts there because I want to be able to browse the page also with links
(text mode browser). The biggest problem would be those round corners
and creating necessary hacks to render it correctly in IE.

Nicks design seems to offer a lot more content and performance than
this, but this looks very user friendly. Still I'm afraid this doesn't
appeal to programmers that much since we need content, not art. The most
annoying thing in Ruby on Rails (http://www.rubyonrails.org/) is that
their home page really sucks. Too much fancy images, too little words.

>> Have you considered using an existing template?
>> http://www.hcoop.net/~natamas/d/template.html
>
> FWIW: I prefer the clean style of Nick's template also. I don't think
> Tiberiu Gal's template is "impossible to implement well in CSS" but
> certainly harder and, more importantly, the design I'd imagine doesn't
> appeal/cater as much to the target audience i.e. programmers.

Why can't we have both. Let the user decide the stylesheet he/she wants
to use.

--
Jari-Matti