d-programming-language.org template

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 18 18:22:50 PDT 2006

Dave wrote:
> Tiberiu Gal wrote:
>>>>
>>> The most immediate problem is that you seem to rely on a lot of images;
>>> how will you handle font size scaling without using tables?
>>>
>>> Have you considered using an existing template?
>>> http://www.hcoop.net/~natamas/d/template.html
>>
>> just css? why? what's wrong with tables?
>
> Great question (what's wrong with tables?) - served me well over many
> years and many web pages.

I frequently use a PDA (which has a 240x320 screen) to view web pages
and the like when I'm at uni and don't have access to my desktop.  It
annoys me NO END when someone uses huge tables instead of flowing DIVs
and CSS.  Even if I pull all of the stylesheets out of the page, it
still formats as if it was on a desktop, and makes it unreadable on the
small screen.

On the other hand, every single site that uses clean HTML for structure
and CSS for layout has displayed *without a problem*, since I can just
strip off the CSS.

I agree that tables make things easier, but easier isn't always better.
 My personal measure for how good a website of mine is thus:

1. Does it display correctly with my default browser window size (about
2/3 of my main monitor)?
2. Does it display correctly in a maximized window across both monitors?
3. Does it display reasonably in a 800x600 window?
4. If I pull out the stylesheets, is it still usable?
5. Can I read it in lynx without difficulty?
6. Is it suitable for people who are disabled: particularly blind and
colour blind people?
7. Can I strip off all formatting and view it on my PDA?

If it passes those seven tests, then it's gold :)

	-- Daniel Keep

--

v1sw5+8Yhw5ln4+5pr6OFma8u6+7Lw4Tm6+7l6+7D
a2Xs3MSr2e4/6+7t4TNSMb6HTOp5en5g6RAHCP    http://hackerkey.com/