SDL* and GL bindings

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon May 22 05:10:54 PDT 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:

> The problem is that MS kept changing what format static libraries were
> in.  DMD uses the original OMF format, but this is problematic since
> most binary distributions of libraries are compiled for the "latest"
> static library format for MSVC, which as I said is not OMF.
>
> In that case, you've got 2 options: try to convert the import library
> back to OMF (which seems to work OK most of the time), or recompile.
>
> This is why I prefer the pure-D dynamic loading approach: the problem
> simply doesn't come up :)

I've found that using another operating systems also helps,
but am trying to learn the arcane skills of Win DLL linking.

I totally blame Microsoft and Visual Studio for all of it...

>>For me coming from Unix, it's easier to just use MSYS: configure && make
>>But DMC/DMD and DM-Make/Build might be easier if you're used to Windows?
>
> I believe you can change which compiler build uses in the configuration
> files.  That said, I think the whole point of build was the remove the
> need for autoconf and makefiles entirely.  I know that *I've* had my
> share of pain from being forced to use the GNU toolchain under
> Windows... any tool that makes that whole damn archaic mess obsolete is
> gold in my book.

Swapping one pain for another, hoping that it is less ? ;-)

I know that *I* have had my share of pain trying to compile
projects hardcoded to DMD and Build under Unix or Mac OS X...

--anders