File format unrecognized?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon May 22 09:31:06 PDT 2006

Jeremy wrote:

>>Why not use GDC, if you want it to be GDB and MinGW-compatible ?
>>
> I do like the GDC project -- but I don't like using v0.140, I want to make sure
> my application works (and is compiled with) the latest D spec.

GDC is currently recovering from the absence of David Friedman,
so there might be a while yet before any GDC 0.18 with DMD 15x
is stable enough for any public consumption - but getting there

> How does GDC compare with DMD in performance? And I like using
> 'build', I don't want to make makefiles and such...

As far as my own experiences go, DMD is a lot faster then what GDC is...
(in the compile step, I haven't actually benchmarked what they generate)
But I do think that Build supports GDC, on the "usual two" platforms ?

> Maybe I should grab GDC just when I really need GDB compatibility,
> but otherwise use DMD.

That seems to be the current status, yes. Never hurts to test with two
compilers either, even if GDC is a bit behind now ("soo last year...")

--anders