Prime time???

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Nov 3 09:21:58 PST 2006

Samuel MV wrote:

> Well, my post it's about version 1.00 because I'm afraid that the developvent
> is in a never-ending cycle of new features and polishing, without a clear end.

I kind of feel that way too.

> I'm going to start a new project in my job (a web application). Probably,
> it'll be done in PHP, but I think that D (as language) it's well suited for
> this, except that it hasn't the libraries/classes (CGI, HTTP, HTML, database,
> ....) and now it's a 'moving target'.

I'm hoping that at some point the D feature list will freeze and the
compiler will branch, so the existing version will enter maintenance
mode and the new version will be used for new features.  It means more
work for Walter but fewer headaches for us.  But I disagree that this is
currently preventing library development.  The current feature list is
pretty solid, and the new features (ie. variadric templates) are not
"must haves" for library work.  Implicit template function instantiation
was far more important IMO, and that has gotten to the point where it's
fairly usable, assuming a few workarounds for overloading.

Sean