1.0 ??

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Sat Nov 4 17:29:38 PST 2006

1.0?

Does that imply a simultaneous 1.0 for D and DMD??

Suppose they were decoupled. Then we might decide on D 1.0 (say in
December) and from there go on with fixing library issues, *installing*
issues (especially on Linux), and even try to create a package that
strives to be as good as Shrink-Wrap, i.e. simply work out of the box,
and be somewhat usable regarding GUI development. Say, in March.

In the meantime we could polish DMD, interact with the GDC guys to get
the two exactly alike, and then maybe even write some example code with
more user value than the current printf-Hello-World style examples.

---

I recently talked with a CIO (who was somewhat familiar with D), who
said that "short of taking a snapshot of D and sticking with it, there's
no way we're gonna start using a moving target as our base, no matter if
it's ten times as good as the next language." And he didn't seem likely
to go the snapshot way.

The implication being that 1.0 or not, what a company needs is
stability. Stability in code, tools, programmer knowledge (as in hiring
and firing folks), a developer community specifically knowledgeable with
the problems of the _current_ version, a community developing and
maintaining up to date libraries targeted _precisely_ at the current
release, and of course a conviction that the current state of affairs
will continue for a reasonable amount of time (i.e. a belief in
everything not becoming obsolete in three months, be it due to a super
cool new version or simply code-breaking upgrades).

So,,, we need to create an _illusion_ of stability. This might be by
publishing 1.0, and at the same time separating the newsgroups into two
distinct areas:

  - faq
  - learn
  - issues
  - general
  - howto

and otoh:

  - future.general
  - future.issues
  - future.brainstorm
  - future.roadmap
  - future.implementation   ( = down-to-earth view on new things)

Or some such, anyway.

We might also promise to not publish a new (stable) version within 12
months of 1.0. (This may really be a more important promise for the
customers and prospective developers and consultants than we here
realize just off-hand.)