1.0 ??

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Sun Nov 5 00:58:22 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
> 1.0?
>
> Does that imply a simultaneous 1.0 for D and DMD??
>
> Suppose they were decoupled. Then we might decide on D 1.0 (say in
> December) and from there go on with fixing library issues, *installing*
> issues (especially on Linux), and even try to create a package that
> strives to be as good as Shrink-Wrap, i.e. simply work out of the box,
> and be somewhat usable regarding GUI development. Say, in March.

I think that's an excellent idea. If, as Walter has said, "1.0" is an
arbitrary line in the sand, tying it to a particular date gives a
rationale for associating a name to a particular release. If we can say
"a DMD 1.0 release will exist on January 1, 2007" (or at least, 1.0 RC
1), we'd gain a lot of focus.

I thought we were really close to a 1.0 release at 0.166, but starting
with the array literals in 0.167, a stable release suddenly seems a very
long way off.
On the positive side, I think that array literals and variadic templates
were the two major 2.0 features which were likely to render a lot of
library code obselete.

We should choose a date and stick to it. Remove the angst.