1.0 ??

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sun Nov 5 22:54:11 PST 2006

BCS wrote:
> Actually, I think it should be D v1.0 RC1. I don't think that it should
> be carved in stone until someone other than Walter writes a complete
> reimplementation of the compiler. Not to belittle Walter (who is doing a
> great job) and DMD (which is a great program), but as it stands
> everything depends on one code base. The DMD frontend. A second
> independent implementation would remove another unknown from the future
> of D. Furthermore, doing a complete reimplementation, would provide an
> opportunity to make sure that the spec consistent and is up to date with
> the language. It would also likely find some more of the bugs in DMD.

While an independent implementation of D would be worthwhile for many
reasons, there are many very successful languages for which only one
implementation exists - such as Perl, Ruby, etc., so it is not a
requirement.

What I think is critical for the success of a single implementation
language is it being open source, which D is.