foreach and metaprogramming

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 7 17:22:28 PST 2006

Per Eckerdal wrote:
> To me the question seems to be whether to implement one feature after
> another and inevitably seeing D become bloated like all the other
> languages (Java, C++) or implementing a metaobject protocol and have all
> those features in a snap and being able to extend the language beyond
> Java's wildest dreams, without bloating the core language. (Okay, I
> admit that was slightly angled towards my view, but I hope you get my
> point)
>
> Don't think I dislike D, I am seriously impressed by it and like it a
> lot. I just think it could be even better :)
>
> /Per

I more or less agree with you, but many people here are much
more focused on speed.  General features are powerful, but
code generated using them tends to be (relatively) slow.
Functions coded in a more specialized fashion can be faster.
Whether the difference is significant or not depends on what
you are planning to do.