foreach and metaprogramming

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 7 22:51:36 PST 2006

BCS wrote:
> I'm from the speed is good camp. I like D because it seems to give good speed
> while still being easy to use. I know of a few systems that allow for better ease
> of use (in some respects) but a a great cost in lost speed. As I see it, if ease
> of use is *all* you want, D isn't what you want.

While many languages do offer "ease of use" and slow code, the ease of
use suffers when one does run up against the speed problem with it.
Then, you've got to figure out how to recode it in another language, or
figure out how to interface other languages to the slow language for the
speed critical parts. When you start doing that, the productivity
advantages of the "ease of use" go out the window.