foreach and metaprogramming

Andrey Khropov andkhropov_nosp at m_mtu-net.ru
Wed Nov 8 15:39:56 PST 2006

Per Eckerdal wrote:

> I have spent some time reading the archives of these newsgroups, and I've
> seen quite a lot, especially on dtl about foreach and foreach_reverse and how
> they should be designed to support that-and-that feature. And there are a lot
> of other places where people talk about "2.0" features.
>
> Just my 2 cents about this:
>
> A language should not strive to have many features, but rather a small set of
> features that allow you to do other things on top of it. (Yes, I'm one of
> those scary lisp guys.)
Well, Lisp syntax is really scary to me :)

>  If you add tools to create your own statements then
> you don't need to have foreach or foreach_reverse.

I think Nemerle is a language you'll probably find attractive.

D is more for lower level system programming and compiler simplicity and hence
its speed is one of the design goals.

--
AKhropov